Ask Shasta College Online
Find what you need in our searchable FAQ.
Communications - What options do I have for communicating with my students?
Canvas provides many options for maintaining regular, effective and substantive communication with your students. Aside from using the Announcements wherein you may send a message to all the students in your course; there are a variety of other options as well.
- The "Inbox" or, "Conversations", tool allows you to send private messages to one or more students. There are features that allow you to send one message to all students; or, you can send one message to all students; but, it becomes an individual message to each similar to the bcc feature in most email clients: Read more about the features in Conversations.
- Using Assignment Feedback is another way to communicate with your students. Utilizing the feature to use timely feedback helps the student gauge progress on each assignment.
- Keeping your grading up to date provides students with immediate, effective communication from you. The SpeedGrader in Canvas offers amazing tools for you leave written feedback on an assignment, leave a voice recording, or a video of you praising your students for a job well done.
- Conferences makes it easy to conduct synchronous (real-time) lectures for all of the students in your course. Conferences allows you to broadcast real-time audio, video, demo applications on your desktop, share presentation slides, or demo any online resources.
- The Chat tool in Canvas allows you and your students to interact synchronously. A word of caution - Chat is not private and remains a permanent part of your course.